On 6 October 2017, Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Business hosted the second meeting of the International Advisory Board. The following top executives and University professors attended the meeting:
- Dennis de Tray, NU Board of Trustees
- Loretta O’Donnel, Vice Provost Nazarbayev University
- Fernando Bernstein, Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
- Oleg Smolyakov, Vice Governor National Bank of Kazakhstan
- Baljeet Kaur Grewal, Managing Director for Strategy and Portfolio Investment, Samruk Kazyna
- Umut Shayakhmetova, Chairperson of the Management Board, Halyk Bank
- Alina Aldambergen, Chair of the Kazakhstan Stock Exchange (KASE)
- Alper Akdeniz, Ex-Chair PWC (ret.)
- Jochen Berbner, Managing Partner, McKinsey Kazakhstan
- Bela Ferenczi, Regional Manager, GE
- Olivier Lazare, Country Manager, Shell
- Anton Van Gorp, CEO Metro Kazakhstan
- Zhaslan Madiyev, CFO National Railroads KTZh
- Marc Zenner, Senior Executive VP, JP Morgan NYC
- Henri Servaes, London Business School
After the welcome introduction, Dean of NU GSB, Patrick Duparcq, updated IAB members on recent academic and research achievements of the School, presented portfolio of degree and non-degree programs and introduced recently launched Master of Science in Finance program.
Further, he opened a Round Table discussion named Connecting Business Schools to Corporate World where IAB members shared their experience of collaborating with NU GSB and other business schools especially highlighting what value it brought to them.
Then, Professor Fernando Bernstein made a presentation titled “A Dynamic Clustering Approach to Data-Driven Assortment Personalization”. He reported about a newly developed dynamic clustering algorithm that adaptively adjusts the composition of the customer segments based on the observed customers’ purchasing decisions, and determines personalized assortments (to maximize sales).
After the the coffee-break, during which the IAB members had the chance to mingle with NU GSB faculty members, there was an interaction with current students of MBA programs. Akylzhan Baimagambetov (EMBA student, CEO, National Investment Corporation of the National Bank of Kazakhstan), Assel Mussina (2017 Full Time MBA Student) and Saltanat Koishymanova (2018 Full Time MBA Student) spoke about their experience at NU GSB, why they chose the school and how their study will impact or even already impacted their careers.
The meeting finished with another round table discussion named “Your Executive Experience and NU GSB Executive MBA: Does it Fit the Bill?”. During the discussion the IAB members, divided into several small groups discussed what the main important skills are needed in real business world and how NU GSB could improve its Executive MBA curriculum in order to develop those skills in their graduates.
In general, many IAB members noted that the meeting was very fruitful and interesting. The next meeting is scheduled for April 13, 2017.