|Ph.D in Operations Management, INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France|
|Associate Professor of Operations Management|
Before joining the Graduate School of Business, Nazarbayev University in August 2017, Dr. Zhijian Cui has been an Associate Professor of Operations Management at IE (Instituto de Empresa) Business School (Spain) and a Visiting Assistant Professor of Operations Management at HKUST Business School, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Hong Kong). He received PhD in Operations Management from INSEAD (France), M.B.A. from Pepperdine University (U.S.), M.S. in Management from EuroMed Marseille School of Management (France) and Bachelor in Engineering from Tsinghua University (China).
Zhijian’s research is focused on the management of collaborations and conflicts in new product development (NPD) process. His researchwork has been published in Production and Operations Management, Decision Sciences, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Research-Technology Management, etc. and received numerous awards from different academic entities.Zhijian now serves as the Chair-Elect of Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section (TIMES) at INFORMS (Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences).
At IE business school, Zhijian supervised the dissertation research of two doctoral students and taught Operations and Supply Chain Management core course and Strategic New Product and Service Development elective course for PhD, M.B.A. and Master of Management Programs. He received “Best Ten Lecturers” award from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2016 and was voted as one of ten “UST Great Minds” speakers in the same year. He also received “Best Professor of Master of Management Program” award from IE Business School in 2015 and “Best Professor of the Year” award from the MBA Program of Shanghai International Studies University in 2014.
Prior to joining the academia, Zhijian worked as a plant manager for three years in a kitchen cabinet factory in California. On this position, he implemented dramatic reforms on operational process and significantly improved the profits. He also worked as an engineer for Siemens (China) before going abroad. In addition, he was involved in a couple of consultancy projects for Philips (Netherlands) and Siemens (Germany).
Link to the Zhijian’s Academic Site
- Managing Conflict and Collaboration in New Product Development: Understanding the Strategy, Selecting the Partner and Designing the Governance Structure, Scholars’ Press, 2013
- Game Theoretical Models in New Product Development, Encyclopedia of Business Analytics and Optimization, edited by J. Wang, IGI-Global Press, 2013
- Cui Z. (single author). 2017. The impact of switching costs on the outsourcing of knowledge intensive business processes, Decision Sciences, 48(1), pp.71-107 DOI: 10.1111/deci.12211
- Yan W., Cui Z. and Álvarez Gil M.. 2016. Assessing the impact of environmental innovations in the airline industry: An empirical study of emerging market economies, Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, 21, pp.81-94
- Revilla E., Cui Z. and Prado B. 2016. A knowledge-based perspective of innovation strategy: The differential effect of knowledge sources, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 63(4), pp.362-376
- Yan W. and Cui Z. 2016. On the factors contributing to the popularity of loyalty programs – evidence from the emerging markets, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 57(2), pp.184-192
- Cui Z. (single author). 2016 Decision making in cross-functional teams: the role of decision power, Decision Sciences, 47(3), pp.492-523. DOI: 10.1111/deci.12188
- Cui Z., Loch C., Grossmann B., He R.. 2012. How the selection and management of providers contribute to successful innovation outsourcing, Production and Operations Management, 21(1), pp. 29 – 48
- Cui Z. and Loch C., 2011. A strategic decision framework for external innovation sourcing, lead article in International Journal of Innovation Management, 15(5), pp. 899 – 930
- Cui Z., Loch C., Grossmann B., He R. 2009. Outsourcing innovations to different providers: lessons from Siemens, featured article in Research-Technology Management, 52(6), pp.54-63
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Cui Z. and C. Loch, Why do Collaborative Projects Often Fail? – Causes and Cures from Conflict Management Perspective, Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Management 2014 Annual Conference, Japan, 07/2014
- Cui Z., C. Loch, B. Grossmann, R. He, Matching Innovation Outsourcing Motivations and Innovation Providers: An Empirical Study at Siemens, 16th Annual International Conference of EurOMA (European Operations Management Association), Goteborg, Sweden, 06/2009.
- Li Q, Hughes R and Cui Z.., Labor Problems at 7-Eleven’s Combined Distribution Center, UST 0815-044, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Thompson Case Center, 2016
Technology Management, New Product Development, R&D Strategy, Emerging Market, Empirical Research, Game Theory
Operations and Supply Chain Management, Project Management, New Product Development, Business Model Innovation, Service Management