From May 12 to 15, 2015, Career Services at the Graduate School of Business held its second Career Week for full-time MBA students. Career Week 2 was presented as an exciting series of workshops, employer panels, and networking designed to heighten students’ awareness of a variety of career opportunities. Related goals of the second Career Week were to provide students with strategies to become competitive candidates within specialized areas/industries, and to introduce them to tools they could utilize to conduct successful searches in their primary areas of interest.
These were the activities covered during 4 days:
- We engaged with industry experts through panel discussions and Info Sessions. More than 20 companies attended and discussed career opportunities within their own specific industries, as well as within their own companies.
- Through panel discussions and interactions with successful entrepreneurs based in Kazakhstan, students got insider tips on how to start their career and maximize the chances for success while minimizing the risks of failure.
- Students had an opportunity to learn more about Oil and Gas, Consulting, Finance, etc. industry trends
- We networked with people with similar interests. The full-time MBA students had meaningful and rewarding 1 to 1 quality time with company representatives and entrepreneurs every day of the week.
- We held a series of workshops aimed to polish those all-important first time impressions during an interview or during a networking opportunity, such as the ‘Elevator Pitch’, ‘Selling Yourself’ and ‘Active Listening’
- We organized morning and afternoon Mock Interview sessions with senior staff from Nazarbayev University and Human Resources representatives from the participating companies, who gave individual feedback to the students as well interview advice and tips to all class members.
Career Week 2 was a success, with many participants — whether students, companies, faculty or staff — expressing their appreciation and overall satisfaction with the program. Planning for Career Week 3 is well underway. “Real” interviews will be arranged with companies so that our full Time MBA students can pursue positions that will enable them to eventually realize their career goals following completion of the MBA program in November. Expect a lot of excitement and job offers!
Career Week 2 was supported by the following organizations, whose active involvement is much appreciated: