Teaching Assistant for the MBA Programs
Key and functional tasks of the department:
Professional delivery and support of world-class MBA Programs designed and delivered in collaboration with the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University.
Key and functional tasks of the position:
A Teaching Assistant is a vital member of the MBA Team, reports to the Associate Dean for MBA Programs, and works closely with representatives of the Fuqua School of Business and faculty assigned to teach in the EMBA and FT MBA programs as well as with MBA Program Managers. The primary responsibilities of the TA are as follows:
• Serve as the liaison between students, faculty, representatives of the Fuqua School of Business at Duke, MBA Program Managers and the NUGSB Associate Dean regarding course-related and other pertinent matters;
• Assist professors in their questions/requests that may arise prior, during, and after the course;
• Arrange, sort, consolidate and distribute educational materials selected by faculty;
• In case of urgency, translate examinations, learning tasks, as well as forms to be completed by students;
• Proof read/edit translations of urgently required educational and examination materials;
• Support faculty teaching in MBA programs during course delivery, including courses taught on weekends or holidays;
• Tutor and assist students individually or in small groups;
• Conduct review sessions in the classroom on campus and at the hotel, where students stay during the weekends when the EMBA residencies take place;
• Conduct and proctor examinations, and monitor that students follow the NUGSB Honor Code;
• Check and grade students’ exams, assignments, and tests upon faculty request and instructions;
• Monitor the progress of students, input assessment results into the electronic system (Moodle) as well as submit final grades to the Office of Registrar of the Organization;
• Support students in their academic affairs on campus and via Skype, e-mail, and phone during normal business hours at the office as well as during evening hours, in case of urgency and/or necessity;
• Continuously support faculty teaching in NUGSB MBA programs via Skype, e-mail, and phone during normal business hours at the office as well as during evening hours, in case of urgency and/or necessity;
• Provide assistance to NU faculty in conducting research.
Yes, for TAs who are assigned to support EMBA students during their two-week residency at the Fuqua School
MBA, MSc, or Master’s Degree in Higher Education or a graduate degree in a related field, preferably from a western university
Desired education, knowledge and professional experience:
Experience working with second language students, appreciation for and experience with business administration. Analytical and technical writing skills preferred.
Flexibility/ability to work weekends, professional manner at all times, commitment to student and faculty support, initiative, creativity and innovation toward tasks, attention to quality and detail. Highly desirable: Willingness to work in a team and collaborate/share knowledge, mutual respect, quality education, integrity, cultural sensitivity and compassion.
Proficiency in languages, including state language, (list of languages):
Given the nature of the position (supporting both faculty and students in courses taught in English assisted by simultaneous translation in Russian, grading students’ written exams), a high level of English-language proficiency is required for non-native English speakers. An ability to communicate in English, Russian and/or Kazakh depending on student needs is essential.
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, willingness to learn and use computer programs used by the department for teaching and research purposes.
Final date of CV submission: Until positions are filled
Please send your CV to email@example.com with a title of the position in the topic of the letter.